Authorities in Schleswig-Holstein
You already know which authorities/offices or types of authorities/offices you need to contact but you still need the exact contact details? Here, you can search directly for types of authorities/agencies/offices and institutions.
- Regional authorities
- Federal authorities
- Tax offices
- Employer's Liability Insurance Associations
- Pension insurance
- Employment agencies
Schleswig-Holstein has 1,116 municipalities (status: 1 January 2012). Four of these municipalities – Flensburg, Kiel, Lübeck and Neumünster – are independent towns, which gives them the status of a city. They have only one local administration, which is the corresponding city administration office.
All other municipalities belong to one of the 11 counties. Tasks relating to the counties are carried out by the corresponding county administration. Administrative tasks relating to the municipalities are organized in several ways:
- as an independent municipality with its own local or city administration office – this is the case for most larger municipalities –,
- as an independent municipality, the administrative tasks of which are run by another municipality or an office or agency as part of an administrative partnership and as per the municipal cooperation law – as is the case in the municipalities Dahme and Ellerau, the city of Friedrichstadt, the city of Glücksburg (Ostsee), Grube, Kellenhusen (Ostsee), Reußenköge, Süsel, Tönning, Wasbek and the city of Wilster –,
- as a municipality that belongs to a larger administrative body ("amtsangehörige Gemeinde") by the main administrative office – this is the case for most municipalities in Schleswig-Holstein –,
- as a municipality that belongs to a larger administrative office ("amtsangehörige Gemeinde") and that carries out the administrative tasks for its office or agency by its own municipal administration – in Bosau, Büchen, Büsum, Flintbek, Fockbek, Kropp, Lensahn, Molfsee and Trittau –,
- as a municipality that belongs to a larger administrative office ("amtsangehörige Gemeinde") by the administrative office of an independent municipality or a municipality that carries out the dealings of another authority or office, if the authority or office has agreed to an administrative partnership with that municipality – as is the case in the administrative offices of Breitenfelde, Haseldorf, Hohner Harde, Hörnerkirchen, Kappeln-Land, Landschaft Sylt, Lütau, Pellworm and Selent/Schlesen.
In Schleswig-Holstein there are a total of 144 municipal, city, and office administrations, including the independent towns. 80 municipalities are independent, the remaining 1,036 municipalities belong to one of the 85 administrative offices. Since 26 offices and independent municipalities make use of a different municipality or office to carry out their administrative tasks as per§ 19 a of the municipal cooperation law, the number of actual administrations is accordingly lower than the sum of all administrative offices and independent municipalities.
You can download a current list of all administrations of the municipalities and administrative offices from the German Ministry of the Interior. The German regional authorities for measurement and geo-information of Schleswig-Holstein (Landesamt für Vermessung und Geoinformation Schleswig-Holstein) offer an overall map at a scale of 1:250,000 that can also be ordered from local bookshops (title: "Amts- und Gemeindegrenzen von Schleswig-Holstein" (Boundaries of administrative offices and municipalities in Schleswig-Holstein)). The current population figures of the municipalities, counties and administrative offices are based on the statistical reports of the statistical office for Hamburg and Schleswig-Holstein (title: "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden in Schleswig-Holstein" (Population of the municipalities of Schleswig-Holstein). The reports also include an address directory of the townships for commercial users.
You can find a list of all regional authorities in Schleswig-Holstein on the web pages of the federal state government.
To access the web portal of the Federal Office of Administration please click on the following link.
Fiscal authorities or tax offices
On the following linked homepage of the federal state of Schleswig-Holstein you will find information, contact details and responsibilities concerning the tax offices in Schleswig-Holstein.
The Chambers in Schleswig-Holstein offer various consulting services for businesses.
For example, if you
- are looking for statistical information on the competitive environment of a market segment,
- want to have your business plan checked for sustainability,
- need economic advice,
- look for information on your rights and obligations as entrepreneur,
- want to offer training opportunities in your business,
the Chambers offer you support.
The Chambers of Trades and Crafts are partners for craft businesses, the Chambers of Commerce and Industry are partners for non-craft businesses in Schleswig-Holstein. There are more Chambers for the different fields of economic activity.
Employer's Liability Insurance Associations
To access the online services of Deutsche Rentenversicherung please click on the following link.